Prepare for Workplace Violence & Active KillersThe U.S. Department of Labor estimates two million people annually report being direct victims of workplace violence, and according to OSHA, another 25 percent of incidents go unreported. In 2017 (the most recent year of statistics), the number of workplace homicides was 458 – intentional shootings were 76% of those homicides. So, how do you protect yourself, your employees, and your business from violence and active killers, and if it should happen, ensure help arrives as soon as possible? First, prepare and practice a comprehensive emergency and active shooter safety response plan with your internal team, local law enforcement, and EMTs. Next, implement a Guard911 mobile safety app within your organization. Not only does our active shooter and emergency mobile panic button alert law enforcement immediately, it communicates with other employees, and acts as an active-shooter deterrent. Those with intent to harm typically plan an attack for some time and will know if a property is protected by Guard911 technology.
The Guard911 active shooter and emergency mobile app alarm instantly mass-communicates with employees and 911 simultaneously. Just a tap of the icon on a smartphone screen and staff is alerted to get to safety while our Hero911 network of first responders is on their way.
4 Steps to Emergency PreparationTo be properly prepared for any emergency, especially active shooter and intruder situations, follow these four steps.
- Have a written and accessible emergency response plan and active shooter plan available to all.
- Practice your emergency response/active intruder plan
- Implement the Guard911 active shooter and emergency alarm app.
- Use the following workplace safety emergency checklist to have everything you need to save lives readily available.
Workplace Emergency & Active Shooter/Intruder ChecklistEmergency and active shooter prevention and preparation are critical to employee and customer safety and confidence. Though many emergencies can’t be avoided, your company can mitigate the damage and help those in need with a practiced emergency and active shooter plan, an active shooter and emergency app, and conveniently located, well-stocked emergency kits. Therefore, ensure everything listed below is easily accessible by employees and emergency responders, and download the checklist for a handy printed version that can be posted and referenced as needed.
- ☐ Guard911 mobile safety alert app
- ☐ Emergency evacuation plans
- ☐ Active shooter/intruder response plans
- ☐ AED (automated external defibrillator)
- ☐ First aid kits with contents that have not expired
- ☐ Gunshot-wound type bandages
- ☐ Tourniquets
- ☐ Blood clot material
- ☐ Feminine pads (if gunshot-wound bandages are unavailable)
- ☐ Medical gloves
- ☐ Dust masks/medical-grade masks
- ☐ Sanitary wipes
- ☐ Hand sanitizer
- ☐ Whistle lanyards (may help find people among the chaos)
- ☐ Emergency blankets (foil/disposable)
- ☐ Drinking water
- ☐ Food
- ☐ Pry bar
- ☐ Cord (bungee and/or rope)